At our last Board of Directors meeting, we agreed upon a number of changes to our Hardrock qualification standards and lottery which will be effective for the 2013 running. These may affect decisions you make long before our December lottery and potentially affect decisions you make concerning the 2012 run.
We will establish a service requirement for admission to the run, consisting of 8 hours service in either a) an aid station at an ultra, b) the management of an ultra, or c) work on a trail used by an ultra. Certification of the service is due by June 1, and the form describing the service must be signed by the RD of the ultra for which the service was performed. Runners on the wait list on June 1 must have their service form in if they are to be considered to take the place of subsequent withdrawls from the start list. The window for performing the service begins June 1 of the previous year (i.e. 6/1/12 for the 2013 run).
Each year, we are faced with the difficult problem of how to choose 140 starters from nearly six times that many applicants, while still respecting the values that make Hardrock Hardrock. The Board feels that our ideal mix of runners would be 25% first-time Hardrockers, 25% veterans (i.e. >= 5-time finishers), and 50% everyone else. To preserve this mix, we are replacing our single weighted lottery with three weighted lottery pools, each with its own wait list:
- First-timers - 35 slots will be allocated to this lottery, which is for anyone who has never started a Hardrock. The intention is to increase the likelihood for applicants with many DNS's to get into the run. Modeling suggests that giving applicants 2^N tickets, where N is the number of previous DNSs, will ensure that those with the most DNSs will get in, while still giving first-time applicants a chance. “DNS” includes both those who were on the wait list and those who withdrew from either the wait list or start list.
- Veterans - 35 slots will be allocated to this lottery, which is for anyone who has five or more Hardrock finishes, with the following qualification: an applicant who DNFs in two consecutive attempts beginning in 2012 will be placed into the "Everyone else" pool until they complete the run in a subsequent year. Applicants will get one ticket for each previous Hardrock finish. The number in this pool is about the same as the number of 5-time finishers bypassing the lottery in each of the past few years, and so comes close to preserving this feature.
- Everyone else - 70 slots will be allocated to this lottery, which is for anyone not in one of the previous two lotteries. The algorithm for ticket allocation will be unchanged from the current one. Modeling suggests that the chances of being selected from this lottery will be better than under the current system.
Runners not selected in the first two lotteries WILL NOT be rolled over into the third lottery. If fewer than 35 "veterans" apply, the unused slots will be added to the "everyone else" pool.
A separate wait list will be maintained for each lottery. When a runner withdraws from the start list, a runner will be taken from the wait list for the lottery from which the withdrawn runner was chosen.
The previous year's winners will continue to bypass the lottery, but they will count against the lottery pool they would have been in.
Important Changes for the 2014 Lottery
Note: Changes will NOT be in force for the 2013 lottery
- We did away with the "started any Hardrock within three years" qualification.
- We reduced the "finished any Hardrock within five years" qualification to three years.
So now Hardrock itself is a qualifier like any other on the list, except that it counts for an extra year (three instead of two).
It is still the case that everyone in any of the lotteries has to have run a qualifier in the previous two years.
The Hardrock Hundred is a "post-graduate" run. For safety reasons, not as an attempt at elitism, we cannot accept novice runners. You must satisfy at least one of the following qualifying standards:
- Finished any Hardrock within the past five years times it has been run (2008-2012)
- Started any Hardrock within the past three time it has been run (2010-2012)
- Completed any one of the following hundred milers during 2011, or 2012 (most recent or upcoming running date shown):
- Angeles Crest
- Bear 100
- Cascade Crest Classic
- Coyote Two Moon
- HURT 100
- Pine to Palm 100
- Plain 100
- Run Rabbit Run
- Superior Sawtooth
- Tahoe Rim Trail
- Tour de Mont Blanc (Europe)
- Western States
- Ultratrail Ehunmilak (Spain)
- Northburn 100 Ultra Mountain Run (New Zealand)
- Tor des Geants (Italy)
- Ultra Trail Mount Fuji (Japan)
Applications will be available late summer. We'll accept applications any time thereafter up until Nov 30th. The lottery will be the first weekend in December. The 140 selected runners will be notified immediately thereafter. It is not necessary to send your entry fee with your entry application, but if selected in the lottery you have until the end of December to submit your entry fee.
A waiting list will be maintained after the field is full. If you are moved onto the starter's list from the wait list, you will be notified and will have two weeks to submit your entry fee.
If you withdraw from the starter's list prior to June 1, 2013, you will receive a full refund of your entry fee if a wait listed runner takes your place. On or after June 1, 2013, you will receive a 50% refund if a wait listed runner takes your place. If there are no runners on the wait list, no refunds will be given.
The algorithm we will use to select runners from the applicant pool in 2013 is PROBABLY the same as that used in 2012, but we could renegotiate early in the fall before applications are available (stay tuned!) - see the lottery procedure