Mandatory Electronic Runner Tracking
Mandatory GPS Satellite Runner Tracking
We will require all runners to carry a SPOT "Trace" GPS Satellite tracking device during Hardrock. Look for a link on this webpage in the next few days that will bring you to Trackleaders' web-based interface to follow runner progress and run flow.
We have adopted this innovation for a number of reasons:
- Improved ability to locate runners in our Search and Rescue efforts
- Limiting risk and exposure to our Search and Rescue Volunteers
- Appropriate technology that poses a minimal imposition on our runners
- Requests from our permitting agencies who have adopted similar technology
- Popularity with friends and family of our GPS satellite tracking trial in 2015
- Help to crews anticipating their runner's arrival at aid stations
By accepting entry into Hardrock, you are agreeing to carry the tracking device. They are relatively small and weigh only a few ounces. We have designed and manufactured a Hardrock Tracker Pouch that provides options to easily attach the Trace to your running vest, pack or arm. Alternatively, many running vests have built-in pouches that can secure the device. There is no cost to the runner.
You will be issued the tracking device on Thursday morning and will be required to return it after you have finished or withdrawn from the run. Further information will be available at this website, through our Facebook page and by email updates.
Here are the Runner Tracking rules of use:
- You are required to carry the device for the full duration of the run. Your pacer cannot carry it for you.
- You will not be disqualified if the device is lost or broken.
- You will not be disqualified if the device appears to be off-course or it accidentally ends up left with your crew.
- You are not allowed to substitute your own personal tracking device for the Hardrock-issued one.
- Instructions on how to initiate a rescue will be provided with the distribution of the tracking devices.
- If you initiate a rescue, you have dropped out of the Hardrock and cannot re-enter the run.